Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Thinker

I am a Gemini, and Geminis are professional thinkers. I don't consider myself a heady person (though I know some people might disagree at times) - I can actually be very creative and intuitive in my thinking. (My emotional intelligence greatly surpasses my confidence about doing math in my head.) I have great ideas, and sometimes people even pay me to come up with creative solutions to problems, or creative ways to turn ideas into reality. I am not someone who sits around and waits for life to come to me.

But a lot goes on in my head. Sometimes it feels like a board meeting is going on in there, and there are a lot of players at the table, all trying to get the floor and explain their point of view. What I need to do is hire a facilitator to run the meetings!

I have had this notion for as long as I can remember that, if I can just understand a problem enough, I can figure out how to solve it. Well, after many years, I'm starting to doubt that this approach works for tackling every problem or challenge. Sometimes it can't be "figured out." Sometimes, no matter how much I ruminate and talk about it, I still don't get very far. Sometimes my wheels just spin in circles, rather than spirals (a spiral has an exit, a circle just revisits the same path over and over).

Sometimes the board in my head can't work it out, no matter how many members take the floor, and no matter how long the board meeting runs. Sometimes they just need to be silenced, so that other, more subtle voices can be heard: my intuition, my emotions, my creativity, and even - dare I sound cheesy and cliche - my child self. What are these players trying to offer me? I'll let you know...

1 comment:

Scott and Christie said...

I completely understand my dear. My own board meets daily, mostly at night, and won't let me sleep! So give your full permission to ask the board to take a break from time to time! They work too hard and sometimes the answers come when they are at lunch! love you!