Friday, May 25, 2007

Pixie

Dahlia looks adorable with her new haircut. Yes, it's short. But boy was it nice to hear her say to me today, "Mommy, I don't want to put my hair up today," and be able to reply, "You don't have to, sweetie, your hair doesn't need to be put up anymore."

Some kids at school said she looked like a boy, and she told me about it trying to make sense of how that felt. Should she care? Does gender matter at three and a half? She also said she had a "bad haircut" and when I asked her where she heard that, she pointed to me. That kid picks everything up, let that be a lesson to her parents and all who know her. I told her I was sorry I'd said that, that I didn't mean it, that her haircut is adorable and that I love being able to see her beautiful little face better. She woke up this morning with bangs straight up in the air, which looked really cute. This is definitely a do that looks best tousled.

She was bouncing around yesterday and feeling her hair bounce with her. Jumping Dahlia is definitely my favorite Dahlia these days, especially when she's naked and cracking herself up bouncing up and down in front of her mirror. The feeling of total delight in being in her body is contagious, and makes me want to kiss her silly.

She woke up in the wee hours of the morning today and came into bed with us, and it took her a while to get back to sleep. She woke up not well rested, which made her extra fragile emotionally. She needed a lot of cuddles this morning before school, and I indulged her 150%. I know she must be having her own bundle of emotions around all the changes coming up very fast for our family. She may not be able to understand them all, but I give her full credit for having the range of emotions around it all. I just want to be there for her as much as she needs and then some, and be really gentle and patient with her no matter how busy I get. That's my intention for the coming months. And at the same time my intention for my life as a parent.

No comments: