Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Visuals

Marty asked us for photos of our life here... people, places, striking images...


Dahlia's little friend Carlie, who is here with her dad Erin (he's in Dave's program) and mom Batya. They'll be headed to Cincinnati with us next year. Dahlia and Carlie have adored each other from day one, despite the two-year age difference.


Nine-month-old Noah is here with his moms Laura (who is in Dave's program) and Julie (who's already becoming a good friend). Noah is to die for adorable and incredibly squishy. He's a big flirt, too, and loves to dance. Dahlia likes to practice being a big sister to him and Carlie.


The Mahane Yehuda shuk, the open market where I go buy delicious food every week. When the shuk cart is full (the shuk cart is one of those wonderful grandma shopping carts for groceries, used in countries where not everyone has a car), that's when I know it's time to head home. It got HEAVY today! And I could've bought more...


Julie took this photo of me in front of the olives from my favorite vendor of olives, Israeli salads and hummus.


Yum... so much to choose from. I spent at least $25 here today, and another $15 across the way, where they sell the cheese. Got some "labane," which is a creamy spread made of goat cheese. Spread on pita baked with zaatar spice... delicious!


Rehov Sokolov #3, where we are living until early August. The shuk cart is sitting in front, waiting to be carried up 3 flights of stairs.


This is pretty much your basic Israeli apartment building, the facades of which are covered in limestone, or Jerusalem Stone. One of the windows on the top floor is to our living room.


This is what you see when you walk in the front door. Dave loves the coat rack.


The view of our sweet little park from our living room window. Dahlia and I are headed there in a few minutes now that it's late afternoon and the temperature is cooler.


Our living room, complete with wicker furniture and a big glass top table where we eat, study and do computer stuff.


Our kitchen, actually pretty big by Israeli standards. Probably bigger than our kitchen in Oakland. We're doing medium well at keeping it kosher... sometimes a meat dish ends up in the milk dishrack!


Where I've been washing and hanging laundry... and where Dave's jeans gained a more pink tint...


Dahlia's room... lots of light.


Our room. 2 twin beds pushed together = 1 king bed. And since we each have our own bedding, Dave's not stealing the sheet and I'm not hogging the blanket!


Our bathroom... small standing shower and a full bath tub.


Cranes (Israel's "national bird") on the way to school.


The Hebrew Union College (HUC), where Dave is studying, where Dahlia's preschool is, and where I take Hebrew class.


It's actually a very pretty campus.


More HUC...


Dave keeping a good attitude about his pretty challenging Hebrew class - he's in level "dalet." Go Dave!

No comments: