Thursday, September 06, 2007

Jackhammer Update

Addendum, September 9: It appears that they have begun to dig another layer... At this point, I have no idea how many more layers they have to go, or how much longer it will take, but I'm less optimistic at this point that it's going to stop anytime before it starts to rain. Sigh... Oh well, at least most of the time I manage to ignore it. The quiet library at Dave's school is looking like a nice alternative...

September 6: I am happy to report that the jackhammer machine is gone and it looks like it has finished its job of hacking through some serious limestone.
Trucks have been coming in and out of the construction site for the past few days to remove all the rubble.
I have no idea if the jackhammer is coming back to dig through another layer, but looking at the way they've been clearing it and the level of the rest of the construction next to it, I have an optimistic feeling that they might be done for good... at least with the jackhammers.

This is what they're building, and they've already done most of one of the curved buildings and the foundation and parking lot underneath that will be the gardens. The other curved building looks like the one that's planned for the area that's just been dug out. If we lived here a year or two from now, it would block our view of the YMCA and King David Hotel. I guess that means now they need to lay the foundation, which could be noisy, but I can't even think about that at this point.

It's all part of the chaotic adventure we signed up for. It's all part of the path we're on together.

Next week is Rosh Hashana, then Yom Kippur, then Sukkot. Seeing how still Jerusalem gets on Shabbat, and heaing everyone say, "It'll be done after the chaggim (holidays), maybe they'll give us a bit of a break from the noise during that time. And then of course there will be those months in the middle of winter when it will be just too rainy for them to do anything...

Gal the optimist has returned... at least for now!

No comments: