Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Nursing Update
I have been busy doing a ton of research about nursing programs in Cincinnati. I'm in the process of figuring out what program will work best for me, what prerequisites are required, what degree I want to get (AA, BSN, MN or MSN), and what I want to become (RN, NP or PA). The program that seems most attractive and feasible is at the College of Mount St. Joseph (I love the idea of going to a Catholic college while my husband is in rabbinical school!) They offer a Masters in Nursing (as opposed to a Masters of Science in Nursing) to become a Registered Nurse. It's meant for returning/second career students and is taught at a higher level than a BSN. And if I want to go back to school later for an MSN, some of the classes will count. And since I have a good GPA from UCLA and it's not an MSN, I don't have to take the GRE. And it starts in May of each year, so I would start that program in May 2009, after completing all my prerequisites and having time to settle into Cincinnati, get a job, have a baby, and get Dave settled into his second year of school, which is supposed to be one of the most intense. As far as working while in school... who knows. We're taking it one project at a time. If I need to defer until May 2010, I will.
It's exciting and challenging at the same time, and a little scary, to change careers at 36 after 12+ years doing the same thing. I couldn't be married to a more empathetic partner, because Dave knows what it's like to make such a big career change and how it's not an easy thing to do. We are figuring out the timing for it all, so that we're not both in school at the same time while moving to a new city, hopefully growing our family, and paying mortgage on a house (even if it's a small mortgage). I'm on the unaccelerated plan, for now working on getting all my prerequisites done. As soon as I get the official okay from the three potential programs I'm considering, I will begin taking Anatomy & Physiology I and II online, thanks to the University of Phoenix. I'm hoping to start these in the next few weeks, my first real science classes since a Stanford tutor helped me make it through high school chemistry. (I'm the one who took plant biology, marine biology and astronomy to get my science GEs in college!) As daunting as it sounds, I'm actually excited to take A&P, and pretty confident that it'll only add to my craving to better understand how the body works. The programs I'm looking into are geared for returning students like me who already have a BA, so hopefully some of my undergrad classes will count toward some of the prerequisites.
Maybe after being a nurse for a few years I'll go back for that extra year and then become a Nurse Practitioner or Physician's Assistant). For now, I want to get to that place where I can stop working in nonprofit and start being a nurse, get experience, see what I love, and where I want to go with it long-term. It's exciting... David Miller said last night on Skype that I'll make a great nurse because I'm smart and compassionate... thanks David! I agree, and I look forward to doing work that is inspiring, stimulating, challenging and which uses my ability to connect with people on a heart level in order to support them.
It's exciting and challenging at the same time, and a little scary, to change careers at 36 after 12+ years doing the same thing. I couldn't be married to a more empathetic partner, because Dave knows what it's like to make such a big career change and how it's not an easy thing to do. We are figuring out the timing for it all, so that we're not both in school at the same time while moving to a new city, hopefully growing our family, and paying mortgage on a house (even if it's a small mortgage). I'm on the unaccelerated plan, for now working on getting all my prerequisites done. As soon as I get the official okay from the three potential programs I'm considering, I will begin taking Anatomy & Physiology I and II online, thanks to the University of Phoenix. I'm hoping to start these in the next few weeks, my first real science classes since a Stanford tutor helped me make it through high school chemistry. (I'm the one who took plant biology, marine biology and astronomy to get my science GEs in college!) As daunting as it sounds, I'm actually excited to take A&P, and pretty confident that it'll only add to my craving to better understand how the body works. The programs I'm looking into are geared for returning students like me who already have a BA, so hopefully some of my undergrad classes will count toward some of the prerequisites.
Maybe after being a nurse for a few years I'll go back for that extra year and then become a Nurse Practitioner or Physician's Assistant). For now, I want to get to that place where I can stop working in nonprofit and start being a nurse, get experience, see what I love, and where I want to go with it long-term. It's exciting... David Miller said last night on Skype that I'll make a great nurse because I'm smart and compassionate... thanks David! I agree, and I look forward to doing work that is inspiring, stimulating, challenging and which uses my ability to connect with people on a heart level in order to support them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i'm sure you will love those classes. going to grad. school is completely different than being an undergraduate student.
Post a Comment